About Me

My photo
I have been a crafter of all sorts for many years, and really love working with Paper and Threads. I am loving the design work I am doing now. I really seem to be getting back into my "art", even if I am doing it by computer now, instead of actually getting dirty while drawing. ;-) I have been avid about Thread Arts since I was a kid, learning to Crochet at 7, then Knit, Embroider, Needle Lace and finally Needle Tat. I love to design as well and am looking forward to taking the Needle Tatting that further step as well.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My Way of Adding a New Thread in Needle Tatting

Well, I finally got around to taking photographs of my technique for adding a new thread when needle tatting.  Nothing I hate worse than knots when you don't actually need them!  I hope this helps someone esle out there who hates extra knots and is struggling with how to add new thread.





I've used very large thread here so it photographs better, but I've used this method with thread as fine as sewing thread (size 120)
Let me know if this works for you and how you like it. ;-)

9 comments:

  1. Well done on a great tutorial. Even though I tat with shuttles I can fully understand your instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Carol, but I'm lost. If you use the short (needle) thread as the knot (ball)thread to make the first few stitches of the chain, then what thread is in the eye of the needle to pull through the chain? How will I have a new length of thread on the needle side? As you can understand, I'm really confused. Any help that you can give me will be greatly appreciated. rsmre

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully you still have lots of Core thread left. If not, and you need to add both ends, then try to work it so that you can add one in one element and one in the other element by switching the threads out. (I have seen this called the Shoelace Trick) I'll try to post some more pictures to help clarify this.
    Hugs
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing your method and a lovely tutorial.

    I recently learned needle tatting and sometimes find it easier on the fingers.

    Now that I've found your site, I feel like I've been missing out on a wealth of (needle tatting) information!

    BTW, do you have any tips or a pattern for making the letter "M"?

    I'm working on a crochet toy net for the baby of a friend of mine, and would like to add a tatted embellishment. Since I'm not good at designing my own, I was hoping you (since you're soooooo good at needle tatting ;-) ) could help me out, or point me in the right direction?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carol, thank you for sharing this method of thread hiding. As I love to tat with thin thread, it is nearly impossible to hide the threadends like this. But, never say never, I'll give it a try again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Carol for doing this. I teach shuttle tatting but have several needle tatters in my group on yahoo and I need all the help I can get to share with them. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a newbie needle tatter from Cynthia's group. Thanks for the tutorial! More please!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a newbie needle tatter from Cynthia's group. Thanks for the tutorial! More please!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also a long-time crafter and just in the last month, I have discovered tatting. I love it. I too, want to learn how to design patterns. I want to thank you for your idea of adding thread. When learning tatting initially, I was told that you could not add thread in the middle of a chain or ring. I like your way better. No knots to come untied. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete