About Me

My photo
I have been a crafter of all sorts for many years, and really love working with Paper and Threads. I am loving the design work I am doing now. I really seem to be getting back into my "art", even if I am doing it by computer now, instead of actually getting dirty while drawing. ;-) I have been avid about Thread Arts since I was a kid, learning to Crochet at 7, then Knit, Embroider, Needle Lace and finally Needle Tat. I love to design as well and am looking forward to taking the Needle Tatting that further step as well.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Thread Experiment

I have over 60 spools of Machine embroidery floss from when I was doing Embroidery on Cards.  I don't do so much of that anymore, so am trying to find something else to use that thread for so it wasn't a wasted investment.  I have mostly thread from Thread Art but I have a few spools of Gutermann Sulky, Gutermann Metallic and Mettlar, so wanted to see how they all tatted up in comparison to the smallest tatting thread I have on hand, which is a size 70.  I'm not exactly sure what size the other threads work out to be, but I think the Thread Art thread is a 120, based on a 120D/2 on the spools.  Here are my results.
I think that the Mettlar and the Thread Art threads need a finer needle to use these without combining them with another thread.  The Double Stitches are a bit looser than I like them to be, but they both tat up very nicely, so I will be able to combine these threads with some of my plain tatting threads for LOTS of possibilities now.  The biggest surprise for me was how easy the Gutermann Metallic tatted up!  My surprise comes from the fact that the thread is not smooth.  I do have some Gutermann Metallic that IS smooth and that did NOT tat up very nicely at all!  Completely opposite to my expectations!
Now, I'm off to see if they make a finer needle than the #8 Extra Fine that Handy Hands has.  If not, then I am going to try tatting the Mettlar and the Thread Art thread using one of my Beading Needles.  Will just have to watch my fingers as they are Sharps!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Carolivy,
    I found a size #9 tatting needle at Lacis.
    rsmre

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this post really helpful. I have been wondering about all of the pretty threads at Joann's and have tried the Gutterman metallic. Now I am off to try some others!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not tried, but someone told me that you can file down a sharp pointed needle to use to tat wilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is how I first learned to needle tat. I filed down a Doll Needle. They are approximately equivelant to a size #5 needle, good for size 10 thread.

    ReplyDelete